On The 3rd July, 1957 an open meeting was held in the Ellen Hinde Hall, Bloxham to form a village Bowls Club. Approximately 30 people were present. The main topics discussed were size and site of the green, cost of membership and work required. Mr. E. Hunt had generously offered the site for the green.
It was proposed, seconded and carried that the club be known as "The Bloxham Bowls Club" and that the annual subscription should be a minimum of £1-1-0d. Before the meeting closed, 16 members had paid their subscriptions.
Adderbury Bowls Club offered to allow Bloxham Bowls Club to use its green at an inclusive fee of £20 for the 1958 season.
It was agreed to officially open the green on Saturday 6th September 1958. All members were asked to make an effort in finishing the work on the green in order to get it ready for the opening.
It was also agreed that Mrs. E.Hunt should be asked to open the Green and Mr. E.Hunt to bowl the first wood. The opening match should be between teams selected by the President and Vice-President. This match to be followed in the evening with the fixture with Middle Barton Bowling Club.
The badge was designed by the Secretary, from suggestions by the members that:
In some way the design should signify the association of a country or village club and, as the field on which the green is situated is known as the "Barley Close", the theme of the design is that of a farming community and a sport familiar to all rural areas.
The Badge is of three barley ears on a green background with gold edging to the shield. The words "Bloxham Bowls Club" are embroidered above and below the shield.
On the 17th November, 1960 It was decided to make a fourth rink on the green at a cost of approximately £32-10-0d. George Willett to arrange for the excavation of the rink and to arrange for the Midlands Electricity Board to remove a pole that stood on the area required.
15th November, 1979
The first two rinks to be starred (2 & 3) by the O.B.A.
Ian George proposed that in the near future the Club should open its doors to lady members. If there was enough interest it would be put on the agenda for the next A.G.M. Meantime ladies would be welcomed to play if accompanied by a member and signed into the visitors book for a friendly game on a payment of 10p per game.
Joining age for the club was lowered from 16 years to 14 years in line with the E.B.A. ruling.
These extracts were taken from the Condensed History of Bloxham Bowls Club - collated by Bob Gushlow. Further details can be obtained by using the links below.